Fair Housing Counseling
Alma Beltran, Fair Housing Coordinator (661) 862-8608
Federal and state laws provide that it is unlawful "to discriminate against any person in the terms, conditions, or privileges of sale or rental of a dwelling, or in the provision of services or facilities in connection therewith, because of race, color, religion, sex, marital status, handicap, national origin or ancestry."
Under the Community Development Block Grant Program, the County of Kern operates a Fair Housing Program under Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 aimed at combating illegal discrimination in housing.
Fair Housing Arts Contest
Each year the Kern County Fair Housing Program works with the Bakersfield Board of Realtors to bring the Annual Fair Housing Arts Contest to local schools and/or after school programs. Participation is open to all children K-12 grade. Please see the following links for details and entry form.
For further information please contact Alma Beltran at (661) 862-8608 or email@example.com.
Fair Housing Services
- Education Activities - Provide brochures, posters, presentations to the public, poster/essay contest in the schools, public service announcements, community outreach activities.
- Hotline Service - Provide a Hotline number (862-5299) both in English and Spanish. Any person who believes they are discriminated against unfairly in the matter of housing issues may call the hotline number. County and City will take calls from people in their respective jurisdiction.
- Investigation/Testing - Investigate the validity of a discrimination complaint.
- Mediation - Serve as a mediator and offer a resolution to the conflict between two parties. The program is not an enforcement agency, but an impartial third party.
- Coordination - Provide connecting links between groups, agencies, individuals and private enterprises that are involved in fair housing that will enhance the delivery of fair housing services.
For further information, contact the Planning and Natural Resources at (661) 862-5050