Fair Housing Counseling
Fair Housing Coordinator (661) 862-5038
Federal and state laws provide that it is unlawful "to discriminate against any person in the terms, conditions, or privileges of sale or rental of a dwelling, or in the provision of services or facilities in connection therewith, because of race, color, religion, sex, marital status, handicap, national origin or ancestry."
Under the Community Development Block Grant Program, the County of Kern operates a Fair Housing Program under Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 aimed at combating illegal discrimination in housing.
Clicking on the links below will allow you to open or download the respective brochures. The documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF) and require the use of a PDF Reader to view them. If you do not have a PDF Reader, you can download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader now by clicking on the icon below.
Fair Housing Services
- Education Activities - Provide brochures, posters, presentations to the public, poster/essay contest in the schools, public service announcements, community outreach activities.
- Kern County Information Line - Provide a Hotline number, (661) 862-5299, both in English and Spanish. Any person who believes they are discriminated against unfairly in the matter of housing issues may call the hotline number. County and City will take calls from people in their respective jurisdiction.
- Investigation/Testing - Investigate the validity of a discrimination complaint.
- Mediation - Serve as a mediator and offer a resolution to the conflict between two parties. The program is not an enforcement agency, but an impartial third party.
- Coordination - Provide connecting links between groups, agencies, individuals and private enterprises that are involved in fair housing that will enhance the delivery of fair housing services.
For further information, contact the Fair Housing Division with Planning and Natural Resources at (661) 862-5038.
The use of Adobe Reader 10.0 or higher is required for optimal viewing of the PDFs on this site.
The notices provided on this web site are displayed as PDFs (portable document format) and require the use of a PDF Reader to view them. If you do not have a PDF Reader, you may download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader now by clicking the button here.