|Lorelei H. Oviatt AICP, Director
Phone: (661) 862-5050
FAX: (661) 862-5052
TTY Relay 1-800-735-2929
|Public Services Building
2700 “M” Street., Suite 250
Bakersfield, CA 93301-2370
Monday – Friday 8:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M
The Planning and Natural Resources Department provides consolidated land use planning and community development programs for the County’s residents. We are proud to fulfill a mission that fosters economic vitality, supports resource conservation, and serves the diverse needs of Kern County residents, including those with lower incomes, by improving their economic, environmental, and social quality of life. We achieve this through projects and programs that revitalize neighborhoods by providing safer living environments, decent and affordable housing, public facilities and improvements, and expanded employment opportunities.
In 2010, Community Development was made a Division of the Planning Department, which was then renamed the Planning and Community Development Department (PCDD), then again to the Planning and Natural Resources Department (PLNR). The Community Development Division (CD) consists of three components: Planning, Fiscal/Agreements & Compliance, and Housing. CD administers the federal HUD grants for the County, including Community Development Block Grant (CDBG), Home Investment Partnership (HOME), Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG), and Neighborhood Stabilization Programs (NSP) Funds.
New Items/Public Notice/Applications
- COUNTY OF KERN DRAFT ANNUAL ACTION PLAN ITEMS FOR FY 2021-2022
Public Notice: County of Kern Fiscal Year (FY) 2021-2022 Annual Action Plan for Community Development Programs
Draft FY 2021-2022 Annual Action Plan
Public Meeting Link for FY 2021-2022 Annual Action Plan for Community Development
(LINK TO JUNE 14 MEETING) at 6:00 – 9:00p.m. (PDT)
You can also dial in using your phone.
United States: +1 (872) 240-3412
Access Code: 582-043-173
- Notice of Funding Availability – Federal ESG Funds from HUD for FY 2021-2022
- Kern County Emergency Solutions Grants (ESG) Program (APPLICATION – Due by 4/30/21 before 4pm)
- Apply for 2021-22 Community Development Grant Funds (CDBG)
- County Departments & Cooperative Agreement Cities (APPLICATION – Due as of 12/18/2020)
- Non-Profit Agencies & Special Districts (APPLICATION – Due as of 12/4/2020)
- 2021-22 AP Schedule CDBG/HOME/ESG Programs – 2nd Year Implementation
- CONSOLIDATED PLAN FOR COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMS, FY 2020-2021 THROUGH FY 2024-2025 FINAL
- Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER) 2019-2020 – Final
- COUNTY CITIZEN PARTICIPATION PLAN, AS AMENDED (Revised 10/6/2020)
- FY 2019-20 Annual Action Plan – Final
- Apply for FY 2020-2021 Community Development Block Grant Funds
- Consolidated Plan for Community Development Programs, FY 2015-16 Through FY 2019-20
The following types of resources are provided by the Planning and Natural Resources Department:
The Planning and Natural Resources Department is responsible for working with County residents (principally those with low or moderate incomes) to assess local needs, and plan and implement projects and programs to meet those needs. Citizen participation is strongly encouraged. A summary of needs and strategies to address them are summarized in a Consolidated Community Development Plan once every five years. Specific projects and programs to implement the strategies described in the Plan are included in an Annual Action Plan. The current Consolidated Plan, Action Plan, and Consolidated Annual Performance Report are available for review at all Kern County Libraries, County Administrative Centers in the outlying areas, County Administrative Building at 1115 Truxtun Avenue in Bakersfield, Cooperative Agreement Cities (see above) in the County’s entitlement jurisdiction, and at the Planning and Community Development Department at the address above.