General Plan 2040
California State Law requires counties and cities to adopt and periodically update a General Plan to guide land use development. Kern County is initiating the General Plan update and is seeking community involvement and input. This website will serve as a gateway for providing and receiving vital information.
- Sign-up for email notifications
- Use the general plan menu on the left to view other resources
- Browse the timeline below
- Attend public workshops
- Attend public hearings
- Submit comments
January 26, 2017
February 23, 2017
March 23, 2017
April 27, 2017
May 25, 2017
June 22, 2017
"In addition, preparing, adopting, implementing, and maintaining the general plan serves to:
- Identify the community’s land use, circulation, environmental, economic, and social goals and policies as they relate to land use and development.
- Provide a basis for local government decision-making, including decisions on development approvals and exactions.
- Provide citizens with opportunities to participate in the planning and decision-making processes of their communities.
- Inform citizens, developers, decision-makers, and other cities and counties of the ground rules that guide development within a particular community."
(State of California General Plan Guidelines, 2003)