What are the submittal requirements for a tract map?

Applications for a tract map may be obtained at the Planning and Natural Resources Department public counter, mailed upon request, or downloaded from the Department web site. Typically, a licensed land surveyor or registered civil engineer will submit the application on behalf of the developer. (Due to the technical nature of the mapping process, state and local laws require that the tract map be prepared by a licensed land surveyor or registered civil engineer, licensed to survey in California.) Once an application is submitted to this office, it will be reviewed to determine completeness. An application package consists of the following:

  • Application form, signed by the owners and agent/representative;
  • One (1) copy of a preliminary title report (no more than ninety (90) days old);
  • Two (2) copies of the proposed tract map, prepared by a land surveyor or civil engineer;
  • Conceptual drainage plan;
  • Hazardous Waste Site Verification Statement; and
  • Preliminary review fee.

The California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) requires that an environmental study be prepared for some types of projects. Tract maps are rarely exempt from an environmental review. The environmental study can take the form of a Negative Declaration, a Mitigated Negative Declaration, or an Environmental Impact Report. If the Planning and Natural Resources Director determines that an environmental study will be required, the applicant will be requested to submit a completed Environmental Information Form. Technical reports may also be required. These may include: a biota report, an archaeological survey, a soils report, a geologic hazard report, a traffic study, and a groundwater analysis, among other studies/reports. These studies will be used to assess the existing physical condition of the property and to determine the impacts the tract map (construction of one (1) residence per parcel) will have upon the environment.

Forms and applications can be found HERE.