What are the submittal requirements for a lot line adjustment?

Applications for a lot line adjustment may be obtained at the Planning and Natural Resources Department public counter, mailed upon request, or downloaded from the Planning and Natural Resources web site. A licensed land surveyor or registered civil engineer will submit the application on behalf of the property owner, as state law requires that new legal descriptions must be prepared by one of these professionals. Once an application is submitted to the Department, it is reviewed to determine if it is complete. An application package will consist of the following:

  • Application form, signed by the owners and agent/representative;
  • One (1) copy of a preliminary title report (less than ninety (90) days old);
  • Illustrations showing the existing configuration and the proposed configuration, prepared by a land surveyor or engineer licensed to survey in California (required by local ordinance) and state law;
  • A legal description of each new lot, prepared by a land surveyor or civil engineer;
  • Hazardous Waste Site Verification Statement; and
  • Preliminary review fee.


The California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) requires that an environmental study be prepared for some types of projects. Lot line adjustments are normally exempt from the requirements of CEQA.

Forms and applications can be found HERE.