|Lorelei H. Oviatt AICP, Director
Phone: (661) 862-5050
|Public Services Building
2700 “M” Street., Suite 250
Bakersfield, CA 93301-2370Monday – Friday 8:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M
The Planning and Natural Resources Department provides consolidated land use planning and community development programs for the County’s residents. We are proud to fulfill a mission that fosters economic vitality, supports resource conservation, and serves the diverse needs of Kern County residents, including those with lower incomes, by improving their economic, environmental, and social quality of life. We achieve this through projects and programs that revitalize neighborhoods by providing safer living environments, decent and affordable housing, public facilities and improvements, and expanded employment opportunities.
In 2010, Community Development was made a Division of the Planning Department, which was then renamed the Planning and Community Development Department (PCDD), then again to the Planning and Natural Resources Department (PLNR). The Community Development Division (CD) consists of three components: Planning, Fiscal/Agreements & Compliance, and Housing. CD administers the federal HUD grants for the County, including Community Development Block Grant (CDBG), Home Investment Partnership (HOME), Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG), and Neighborhood Stabilization Programs (NSP) Funds.
- Apply for Emergency Solutions Grants
- Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG) Fiscal Year 2018-2019 Proposed Amendment to Action Plan
- Emergency Solutions Grants (ESG) 2019-2020 Application Notice of Funding Availability
- PUBLIC HEARING NOTICE (FY) 2018-2019 ANNUAL ACTION PLAN AMENDMENTS
- Public Notice to Amend Kern County Action Plan for HOME and NSP funds
- FY 2019-20 Annual Action Plan Notice
- FY 2019-20 Annual Action Plan Schedule
- Apply for FY 2019-20 Community Development Block Grant Funds
- Final Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER 17-18)
- Current Items
- FY 2018-19 Annual Action Plan – Final
- Consolidated Plan for Community Development Programs, FY 2015-16 Through FY 2019-20
The following types of resources are provided by the Planning and Natural Resources Department:
The Planning and Natural Resources Department is responsible for working with County residents (principally those with low or moderate incomes) to assess local needs, and plan and implement projects and programs to meet those needs. Citizen participation is strongly encouraged. A summary of needs and strategies to address them are summarized in a Consolidated Community Development Plan once every five years. Specific projects and programs to implement the strategies described in the Plan are included in an Annual Action Plan. The current Consolidated Plan, Action Plan, and Consolidated Annual Performance Report are available for review at all Kern County Libraries, County Administrative Centers in the outlying areas, County Administrative Building at 1115 Truxtun Avenue in Bakersfield, Cooperative Agreement Cities (see above) in the County’s entitlement jurisdiction, and at the Planning and Community Development Department at the address above.