|Lorelei H. Oviatt AICP, Director
Phone: (661) 862-5050
FAX: (661) 862-5052
TTY Relay 1-800-735-2929
|Public Services Building
2700 “M” Street., Suite 250
Bakersfield, CA 93301-2370
Monday – Friday 8:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M
The Planning and Natural Resources Department provides consolidated land use planning and community development programs for the County’s residents. We are proud to fulfill a mission that fosters economic vitality, supports resource conservation, and serves the diverse needs of Kern County residents, including those with lower incomes, by improving their economic, environmental, and social quality of life. We achieve this through projects and programs that revitalize neighborhoods by providing safer living environments, decent and affordable housing, public facilities and improvements, and expanded employment opportunities.
In 2010, Community Development was made a Division of the Planning Department, which was then renamed the Planning and Community Development Department (PCDD), then again to the Planning and Natural Resources Department (PLNR). The Community Development Division (CD) consists of three components: Planning, Fiscal/Agreements & Compliance, and Housing. CD administers the federal HUD grants for the County, including Community Development Block Grant (CDBG), Home Investment Partnership (HOME), Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG), and Neighborhood Stabilization Programs (NSP) Funds.
New Items/Public Notice/Applications
- Notice of Funding Availability 2020 STATE ESG Application federal funds passed through the State of California (Applications due before 4 pm on April 24, 2020)
- Notice of Funding Availability Home Investment Partnerships (HOME) Program (Applications due June 30, 2020)
- County of Kern 2020-2021 Federal Emergency Solutions Grants (ESG) Notice of Funding Availability (Applications due before 4 pm on March 16, 2020)
- Notice of Public Hearing – March 10, 2020
- Public Notice: Community Meetings FY’s 2020-21 through 25 – 26 Consolidated Plan and 2021-22 Annual Action Plan
- Apply for FY 2020-2021 Community Development Block Grant Funds
- Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report 2018-2019 Final
Consolidated Plan Citizen Survey FY 2020-2025 (Last Day to Submit Dec 3, 2019)
The “Submit by E-mail” button may not work if the survey is being viewed within your browser. Due to how various browsers (Edge, Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.) handle PDF documents/forms, we recommend that you download the PDF to your computer before completing the form. After completion, you may submit the form using the button and selecting your default e-mail application or webmail.
- FY 2019-20 Annual Action Plan – Final
- Apply for FY 2019-20 Community Development Block Grant Funds
- Final Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER 17-18)
- FY 2018-19 Annual Action Plan – Final
- Consolidated Plan for Community Development Programs, FY 2015-16 Through FY 2019-20
The following types of resources are provided by the Planning and Natural Resources Department:
The Planning and Natural Resources Department is responsible for working with County residents (principally those with low or moderate incomes) to assess local needs, and plan and implement projects and programs to meet those needs. Citizen participation is strongly encouraged. A summary of needs and strategies to address them are summarized in a Consolidated Community Development Plan once every five years. Specific projects and programs to implement the strategies described in the Plan are included in an Annual Action Plan. The current Consolidated Plan, Action Plan, and Consolidated Annual Performance Report are available for review at all Kern County Libraries, County Administrative Centers in the outlying areas, County Administrative Building at 1115 Truxtun Avenue in Bakersfield, Cooperative Agreement Cities (see above) in the County’s entitlement jurisdiction, and at the Planning and Community Development Department at the address above.