How do I obtain approval of my site plan?

A site plan should be included with the building or grading permit and will be routed to the Kern County Planning and Natural Resources Department for review and approval. The Special Development Standards review is conducted automatically by Department Staff whenever an application for a grading or building permit is made on property with the aforementioned zone districts. In the event staff has any questions or concerns about your project, you will be contacted by phone or mail. Grading and building permits cannot be issued until this review has been completed. For a proposed use that may not require a building or grading permit from the County, the applicant should contact the Department directly to ensure this review is completed before the use is established.