What is a conditional use permit (CUP)?

Certain uses of land or types of businesses specified in the Kern County Zoning Ordinance require a conditional use permit application. So that the Planning Commission or Board of Supervisors can impose conditions of approval to ensure the peace, health, safety and general welfare of the adjoining area.

The conditional use permit application requires a public hearing before the Kern County Planning Commission. Conditions of approval are approved with the permit and must be satisfied before building permits can be issued or the use otherwise begins.